Monday, July 6, 2009

Exploring Oxford from botanical gardens to a dining hall


Another post from Denise Letendre:

The past few days have been exhausting but fun! Unfortunately, I haven't been able to sleep very well because Oxford is going through a heat wave right now so our rooms are extra hot. Also, my room faces the East so when the sun rises at 4:45 every morning it shines in my room. On top of all of that, birds congregate on a field directly outside my room and instead of chirping, they make this loud squawking noise early in the morning! Luckily, I have had time to take naps during my lunch break.

Yesterday Professor Lisa Miller (from Rutgers) gave one of the lectures and I have to say it was the best one yet (not that I'm at all biased)! We had a debate on counter-discrimination claims and eminent domain.

After class, Cat, Vanessa, and I went to the Botanical Gardens. They were a little bit of a disappointment because there weren't that many flowers but I think this heat wave may have killed some of them. Then we went back to Christ Church College to take more pictures and we walked along a path that ran along the river and around the whole campus. It was beautiful!

On our way to Christ Church, we saw someone with a Big East tennis shirt on so we decided to ask him where he went to school. It turns out he goes to Georgetown and is from New Jersey! What a small world!

For dinner, the Rutgers crew went to Noodle Nation which was a pretty good Chinese restaurant and then came back and tried to read a bit.

Today, on my way to the pool, St. Magdalen's College was open. Every other time I have walked by it has been closed to the public so I was excited to see it open! I decided to take a look around. I actually got to go into the buildings and saw the dining room. Let's just say it's quite different from Brower! I looked like an old fashioned library.

I'm about ready to go to dinner now. We are planning on getting Indian food and then it's off to London bright and early tomorrow to visit the high court!

No comments:

Post a Comment